Forum ACGG title
ID Gunmaker

Notifications
Clear all

ID Gunmaker

Katie Roberts
Topic starter  

Once again, I'm turning to you professionals and enthusiasts to identify the maker of a rifle, submitted by a concerned buyer.

"I bought this rifle about 2 months ago thru a gun broker dealer in Birmingham,Alabama and they have no written provenance regarding the maker of gun, but they swear it is a Joe Balackie rifle and they bought the gun from a very well to do real estate businessman  also from Birmingham by the name of Jim Parsons who is already deceased.  In his obituary it mentions him as a big world wide hunter which kind of checks out from what the dealer said.  They also mention that it is rare work of his.  Seems like this gun was either built for a youngster or a lady.  It has a length of pull of 12.5 from the trigger. It is a beautiful lightweight rifle (exhibition grade wood and beautiful detail especially on wood) and whoever built it is a very skilled craftsman.

I’m in the process of selling it and getting it appraised, however without proof it is a Balackie rifle I can’t do much. I have dismantled the stock carefully and there is no markings whatsoever on the barrel or stock. It does not have Flaig barrel stamp on it all it has on barrel is 7x57.  It has a Mauser action model 98 with beautiful blueing.  They described the barrel as a premium Flaig barrel. It also has a small engraving on butt plate and grip cap.  It has a storage compartment on the butt plate also.  
Please!!!! I am very desperate and have nowhere to turn to for authenticity.  If some of his colleges are familiar with his work or if Mr Balackie or any family member can be reached please assist me in any way."

If anyone is familiar with this work, please let me know! Thanks.

image 50390785
image 16837121 (1)
image 16848385
image 67182081
image 16832001

Professional Member

Perhaps Joe himself can say yes or no to his work. 

ReplyQuote
Katie Roberts
Topic starter  

That would be great! I can't find a contact for him, though.

ReplyQuote
Professional Member

If it is not signed or marked in any way only Joe could verify it. He was at the Dallas Show the last time I was there. I would think the value would be in the neighborhood of what you paid for it.

ReplyQuote
Share: