Forum ACGG title
Notifications
Clear all

Gold stock ovals

RFerrell
Professional Member
Topic starter  

I have a gold oval to install in a stock and am starting with a flat piece of gold.  Any tips/precautions for bending the gold to match the stock contour and soldering a pin to the back of the oval?  Special solder needed?  Thnaks.

DaveN
Professional Member

Hi Roger - I used to use a barrel vise bushing as close to the stock toe line contour as possible. Always seemed to work ok for me. Low temp plumbers' solder.

best to all
Dave

ReplyQuote
DaveN
Professional Member

I likely shoulda mentioned that I used the barrel vise Bushing as a sort of die, and used a round piece of steel to smack and force the material into shape.
best to all
Dave

ReplyQuote
Professional Member

I haven't used a genuine gold oval but made a die kind of like Dave mentioned with the bushing for brass ones. My brass is .032, I had a hundred cut out years ago on a water-jet machine. I intended to form and solder the stud, then offer them to the trade for sale. haven't gotten to it yet. Probably never will....

IMG 2263

ReplyQuote
Professional Member

IMG 1234

Lots of ways to skin cats.

I find it helpful to coat with Dykem. Scribe 5 lines. A center and 2 lines, 1/8" on each side. Use an oval drafting template to scribe the oval. Cut off excess with tin snips. Rough file it. Saving my filings. I then set up the 1" band sander table and sand the draft angle up to the scribed line of the oval. Then, I bend it to the contour of the stock. The reason for the extra scribe lines is because I bend it in 3 stages using a Versa-Vise, a steel rod, a walnut "punch", and a mallet. The oval and the steel rod are clamped together on each of the lines and bent over the rod using the punch and mallet. I found that 50/50 solder and a copper rivet with some notches filed into it worked best for me for the peg on the back. Saving those filings and chips that were snipped off add up after a few years. Just be sure not to have any metal filings mixed in!

ReplyQuote
Share: