Forum ACGG title
Re-checkering handg...

Notifications
Clear all

Re-checkering handgun stocks

DaveN
Professional Member
Topic starter  

Well maybe just to get this topic started. When re-checkering handgun stocks I always found it far easier to rest the stocks on a piece of wood covered with cork and then move them around by hand to get the work done. The cork holds the stocks firm enough but won't mar them.

grips 1
grips 2

powersmetalworks and Zeb reacted
Steve Nelson
Professional Member

Brilliant, Dave. Especially since I have five of them to do soon.

ReplyQuote
Kurtm2323
Associate Member

That's a great idea, I'm going to have to try that next time! I've found that a dab or two of hot glue on the bottom work well too!

Zeb reacted
ReplyQuote
Rob Rowen
Professional Member

I made this block with a round ball at the base so it can be turned in almost any direction in a vise, and clamped solid for checkering. The brown clay looking putty at the top is actually a non hardening modeling clay made for kids and sold at Michaels and such stores. When the clay is lightly warmed the grip can be set on the clay and pressed down. When it cools after just a couple minutes it holds the panels solid yet they can be removed easily. both hands are free this way

Zeb reacted
ReplyQuote
Associate Member

Rob, so glad to see this post. I missed you at the DSC. I need one of those ball end tools. Yours is very pretty. Jimmy Moore

ReplyQuote
Share: