Forum ACGG title
Notifications
Clear all

Need stock checkering recut, looking for referrals

Associate Member
Topic starter  

On the German drilling, I have moved on to the wood work. Checkering is not a skill set I have at this time so I am looking for referrals that I can contact.

The checkering is 18 LPI with borders and is flat top. It is nothing fancy but I think I would like to have it recut as pointed instead of flat top, but i am not opposed to keeping it as flat top.

I cant find anything that would indicate that this gun has any great collectors value so i am not worried about keeping it period correct and in original condition.

Any referrals would be appreciated

Professional Member

Hi. I would recommend that you go with semi-pointed. 18 LPI is very deep and pointed up... maybe painfully sharp.

Finding someone to do it is problematic these days.

Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
Associate Member
Topic starter  

Thanks James. Since i was having a difficult time finding anyone  i went ahead and purchased the checkering tools. I spent many hours practicing on flat and round wood pieces until i felt confident to enough to tackle the job on the german drilling. I made mistakes but fixed them early and i was eventually able to checker the stock and the forearm. I wouldnt say i could checker but it looks pretty good, just dont break out the magnifying glass. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Share: